The California Prison Industry Authority (CALPIA) established the Career Technical Education
(CTE) program in 2007 to provide offenders with an opportunity to gain hands-on experience in
real world training. CTE programs are funded entirely by the sale of CALPIA products and services.
CALPIA’s Modular Building enterprise focuses on constructing steel framed modular
buildings that have 30-year life spans.
Offenders are trained to provide skilled labor in the construction of modular
buildings from ground up, including foundations, metal work, roofing, wiring, insulation
From 2008 through 2010, this enterprise provided over 100,000 square feet of modular
buildings for California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation institutions.
In 2012, CTE Modular Building enterprise participants completed three new prototype
- Telemedicine Modular Building: The self-contained telemedicine unit provides
for remote medical examinations by way of video conferencing. This product will reduce
the cost of offender health care by lessening the need to transport inmates to outside
health care facilities, and serve as a model for the delivery of health care to offenders
located in remote California prisons.
- Mobile Medical Trailer: These trailers provide on-site
medical care at various locations to offenders without requiring the construction of new facilities.
- Incident Management System: A state of the art training facility to demonstrate
methodologies for correctional and non-correctional incident management.
- Lighter Constructed Modular: Differentiates itself from the higher security (and heavier)
modular buildings previously installed throughout the state. This lower weight, lower cost
building still enjoys the same 30- year life span as previous buildings.
- Career Tech Ironworker: Core-Classroom Curriculum
- Career Tech Ironworker: Horizontal Welding
- Career Tech Ironworker: Vertical Welding
- Career Tech Ironworker: Overhead Welding
- Career Tech Ironworker: Pipe Welding
- Career Tech Carpentry: Core-Classroom Curriculum
- Career Tech Carpentry: Lead Worker/Mentor Training
- Career Tech Carpentry: Panduit Telecommunications
For more information on this program, please call 916-358-2193, or email Paul.Baum@calpia.ca.gov